lower peirce reservoir (a)
macritchie reservoir (b)
in 1891, the holding capacity of the impounding reservoir or thomson reservoir, after its designer john turnbull thomson, was expanded. municipal engineer james macritchie oversaw this expansion and the reservoir was named after him in 1922.
lower peirce reservoir was originally known as the kallang river reservoir. it is singapore's second reservoir and it was impounded across the lower reaches of the kallang river in 1910. in 1922, it was renamed peirce reservoir in commendation of the services of robert peirce, who was the municipal engineer of singapore from 1901 to 1916.
in 1975, a major water supply project to develop new water resources was undertaken to support singapore's rapid housing and industrialisation programmes. a dam was constructed at the upper reaches of the peirce reservoir, forming the upper and lower peirce reservoirs.
and this is found exclusively at macritchie reservoir.