Sunday, January 2, 2011

answers to old thing quiz

i came across this car at level 2 of autocare at sin ming. you can see the signal indicator called the trafficator between the two windows.

as this car was left at the workshop for either servicing or some repair work, i managed to take a picture of the large steering wheel.


this is the back view of the same car. i figure this car must have been manufactured in the late 50s or the beginning of the 60s. the vents at the rear are more the trademark of a volkswagen than a morris minor.

everybody who attempted seems to be able to identify the old thing but only don managed to get the correct term for the signal indicator. this was confirmed by victor.

7 comments:

peter said...

This model is late 40s to ealry 50s (yr of manufatcure. notice the rear tires has a cover). This design later became standrad design for Porshe 911 series. anyway Porshe owned Volkswagen before WW2.

Lam Chun See said...

Such a coincidence. Yesterday I attended a church wedding and the bridal car was an old volkswagon. Futhermore, I saw an old VW van also all dolled up with ribbons etc. Unfortunately, I was already in my car and leaving the premises. Otherwise sure would take a few photos of these old beauties.

yg said...

peter, most likely, the 50s.
i will send you a picture of a bedford truck. maybe you can tell me the year of manufacture.

yg said...

chun see, the volkswagen van is rarely seen in singapore but i have come across quite a number in melbourne.

Keith said...

Seeing this car make me teared. The beetle was my first car (mine was white 1200cc) and first love.

yg said...

keith, no air-con, no automatic windows, no leather seats, no automatic transmission...and yet you still loved it.

Lam Chun See said...

My family - as in before I got married - too owned a beetle at one time. It gave many problems. Read my story here; including a link to Bullockcart Water's story.